Tuesday 27 May 2014

WDW: Whispering Canyon

Walt Disney World in Orlando is a huge complex consisting of 4 parks, 2 water parks a Downtown Disney (shopping and dining precinct) and many onsite resorts. All themed and all with there own wonderful dining options.

Over at Wildness Lodge the Whispering Canyon is famous for the rowdy dinners and fun atmosphere. Think cowboys, campfires, smoked barbecue meats and lots of tomfoolery!

I am seated near the back of the restaurant, away from the main hullaballoo but still close enough to enjoy the spirit of the evening and not be the centre of attention.  Really didn't want to be the focus of any tomfoolery as I was a solo diner.

The menu is impressive and absolutely droolworthy if you are a meat lover  but I am really hankering for the ‘all-you-care-to-enjoy’ skillet (now known as build-your-own-family platter). 

First things first – quenching the thirst with a chocolate milkshake – served in a jar – and a bottomless jar at that for $7.29!

Chocolate Milkshake

Creamy and a big chocolate hit– this was good except for the amount of cream on top. I am not a huge fan of cream as it makes me queasy, so I scraped it off.

The Canyon Skillet comes with a mixed greens salad with apple vinaigrette and cornbread with whipped butter. I love me some cornbread lathered with butter and there is something awesome about whipped butter. The salad is tangy and tart and very refreshing. The cornbread is light and moist, although I don’t eat a lot of it..saving room for the meat.

salad with apple vinaigrette

corn bread loaf with whipped butter


The Canyon Skillet consisted of Smoked Pork Ribs, Pulled Pork, Oven-roasted Chicken, Beef Brisket, Mashed Potatoes, Cowboy Beans, and Corn on the Cob, Coleslaw, and Fresh-baked Cornbread - for one in my case.  That's a huge serving (and remember you can order more if you wish).


all-you-care-to-enjoy skillet


Deliciousness in skillet form....I don't think I ate many of the beans or coleslaw, but the pork ribs and pulled pork were scrummy delish. The brisket is melt in your mouth tender and zinging with BBQ smokiness and I only had a bite or two of the chicken (which was a little dry) and besides I had the meat sweats on by then and I definitely didn't ask for seconds.

Did I mention the skillet also came with dessert?

Apple-Caramel Pie

Fresh Granny Smith Apples, Sugar Cookie Crust, Streusel Topping, and Caramel Drizzle.

I had to have it take away, as I could not possibly fit another bite in.

As for the tomfoolery – it’s a real hoot. Ask for ketchup if you ever go – or a large drink! (I ain’t goin’ reveal the fun ya’ll)

The whole dinner was fantastic. So finger lickin' good. I would highly recommend Whispering Canyon and I can't wait to go back there! It's so much fun

1 comment: