Monday 26 May 2014

Roo Recipe: Salted Cashew Nut Pesto

I have been inspired recently to get into the kitchen and do some cooking.  It is my zen place.  This weekend I made , amongst other dishes, salted cashew nut pesto.

A fresh bunch of basil leaves that I had purchased at Paddy's markets during the week was sitting in the fridge wilting and knew I needed to use them up quick, so I ransacked the pantry staples and my cashew nut pesto was born - actually I have the recipe written down from a previous batch I made (when living in Dubai - yes it's been that long since I made it last).


salted cashew nut pesto


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups torn basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup roasted and salted cashews (can use raw if you don't want the saltier flavour)
60g finely grated Parmesan cheese
approx 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Method

in a blender chop basil leaves, garlic and cashews, until you get a fine crumble
blend in olive oil until you get a 'grainy' consistency (or leave more crumbly if you prefer)
once mixed stir in Parmesan cheese.

I portion out in an ice cube tray and freeze - great for portions when you need it.

Great with pasta, topping on a soup or spread on toasted ciabatta and a slice of tomato!
 

1 comment:

  1. For a minute there I thought you made this using just the mortar and pestle! Love the idea of adding cashews :)

    ReplyDelete