Tuesday 21 May 2013

Lentil, Chilli & Mint Soup


When I first began this little project, I was cooking and photographing the dishes more than I was posting them here...yeah I've said it before I was a slack blogger in the early days!  So it's time to dig out some of those recipes and post them! 

This soup is a winner for winter.  It's easy to pull together and perfect for a cold winters night.  I've adapted it from a Donna Hay recipe from her 10 Minute Meals cookbook (which I have a personal signed copy wishing me a Happy Birthday).

I am now focusing on my inner Donna Hay....food stylist extrodinare. She makes things so delectable on a plate.  There's alot to learn.

I will admit that I cooked mine for nearly 20 minutes to get a smoother, softer lentil because 10 minutes didn't seem to really cook it and I played around with the spice level to suit my personal taste.


Red Lentil, chilli and mint soup


Ingredients

1 tbs vegetable oil
1 small brown onion, chopped
1 cup of red lentils
1 long red chilli, diced
1-2 tsp lemon rind, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 litre of chicken stock (you could use vegie stock)
handful of mint leaves, washed and chopped
greek yoghurt

Method

Fry onion, chilli, lemon and cumin in oil
Add lentils and stock and bring to a boil
Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until smooth and creamy
Stir in mint
top with yoghurt and mint and serve




No comments:

Post a Comment